Friday 30 October 2015

A Tree's Tale


I am a tree in Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve and my name is mangrove. I am here for the past 21 years. Proud and firm, I stand on the ground with several migratory birds visiting me often. People from all walks of life come to my habitat to discover my neighbors such as mudskippers, crabs, shellfish, water snakes, birds, spiders, monitor lizards and otters

remember the time when I was young, slim and trim and my desire that one day I will grow and give shelter to everybody and today that desire of me has come true. When there was rain, I was in high spirits as I use to feel fresh and after the rain, when sun use to shine, it was a pleasant sight for me.
While I was taking a short nap after a tiring day, I was awakened by the deep voice of Mr. Crab. I fluttered open my eyes to find a huge group of animals near my foot. They were frowning and from their facial expressions, I could clearly say that they were having an important discussion. Being bored of doing nothing, I decided to eavesdrop about what they were discussing about.
Mr.Crab: I am extremely annoyed with the attitude of those humans visiting our home everyday.
Miss. Water snake: Yess… I feel the same way.  Children coming to see me act as if they had never seen similar creatures like me and without hesitation, they start poking my tender scales with sticks and whatever they find around. They are making such a nuisance out of themselves...urgh…
Mr. Hummingbird: I do not have any privacy here. People keep taking pictures of me, hurting my delicate eyes.
Mr.Crab: We need to find a suitable solution for this and end this before it’s too late.
Mangrove: Don’t jump into any conclusions. I have been eavesdropping to what you guys were saying. Though there are many humans who do not show any care or concern to us, there are others who understand our feelings and appreciate our existence.
Mr.Crab: Don’t be silly mangrove. There is no way humans could be caring towards us…
Out of the blue, a young girl came running towards us and was extremely impressed to look at us. With a charming look on her face, she called out to her parents who came rushing behind her. She jumped with joy. But suddenly, her eyes were filled with tears. Choking with tears, she told her parents that she is very depressed when she realized that the lives of these flora and fauna are in danger due to several factors such as deforestation etc. If these harmful actions of the people continue, there wouldn’t be any more trees and species of animals found. Her parents consoled her and advised her that she should always play her part in conserving the forests. Soon, they left the place.
Looking at what had all happened, Mr. Crab and other animals gave a sigh of relief.
Mr.Crab: Well, Mangrove you are right. There are some kind people around us who are struggling very hard to save us but still, it involves the participation of each and every person in conserving our habitat and saving our lives from getting extinct.
Mangrove: I fully agree with you and there are several ways in which humans can play a part in saving us. For example, they can control the occurrence of forest fires, focus on reforestation or afforestation, check over Forest Clearance for Agricultural and Flabitation Purposes and proper utilization of forest produce and products. In a nutshell, please save us and our habitat before it’s too late!

No comments:

Post a Comment