Thursday 29 October 2015

Trees-The Bronchi Of Earth

AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A TREE

Hi I'm a banyan tree and I'll be presenting you the story of my life, narrating it in short with the most important events which caused drastic changes in my life and that of my species.




I was born on 21st November, 1945, in a village called called Chikmanglur. My homeland is a dense forest situated in the northern part of the village. It also serves as the dwelling place of many of my wild friends such as the lions, tigers, wolves etc. The villagers took great care of me and often visited me to collect leaves and twigs. They considered me sacred and performed rituals. Their children play under my care and protection. I owe them my life.I was happily living with my family when suddenly my life took a drastic turn.

I was wondering how to pay back to the immense love and affection that the villagers poured on me. Suddenly, I felt a poke. On looking down, I found few axemen sharpening their axes, ready to cut me down. They were ordered to do so by two handsomely dressed gentlemen. I guessed they probably belonged to the upper class.

In a matter of few more minutes, I was going to be cut into pieces. I moaned about my fate. I was spending my last few minutes, after which I would be fallen down, dead. The most terrifying moment was when I realised that it wasn't only me who was going to be cut but also my entire family.

As the man drew his axe towards my mother, I shut my eyes, not having the courage to witness her death. But instead of a chop sound, I heard a girl screaming. It was Maya, my favourite, the one who plays hide seek with me and pleases me with her caressing touch. “Chop me first,” she cried. “Take my life but leave my trees alone.” I was moved by her affection but had no means to express my feelings. I could only shed a few of my leaves on her to show my gratitude.

The axemen were speechless but with the command of the affluent man, he tore her away from me and threw her on the ground. I felt sorry for Maya but I was helpless. She got up quickly and hugged me again. She cried and wept badly. Suddenly, hundreds of villagers, old and young, rushed towards me and other trees. Each one hugged one of us. Now even the affluent man was unable to do anything.



Soon, the village head arrived at the scene. He stood under me when the villagers begged him for mercy on me. He ordered the axemen to move out immediately. He further stated that the village shall no longer allow anyone to cut us for any purpose and hunting shall be strictly prohibitted in the village.

Today, even after so many years, I still stand there with my fellow friends, fresh and intact, sustaining the greenery of the village. The neighbouring areas have turned into urban cities and with no speck of verdure in their appearance. I feel proud to be a part of this oasis in the middle of the huge desert.

“Don’t destroy the greenery,
And don’t spoil the scenery.
Save mother earth.”

“Think of the long haul,
don’t let the trees fall ! ”





No comments:

Post a Comment