Wednesday 27 January 2016

Autobiography of a Banyan Tree

I am a banyan tree of a town. Proud and firm. I like all the town folk for the care and concern they show me. I readily and happily offer shelter to their goats and sheep. Their children play under my care and protection. I owe them my life.
It was long ago, when I was young and slim. I cared only for my desire to grow up. One day, I saw a group of workers sent by the government, sharpening their axes to cut me down. I became highly anxious. I trembled with fear. Suddenly, a loud voice echoed through the town. “Do not cut our trees. They are the breath of our life.”
It was the people of the town. I never knew that they loved me so much. They hugged my trunk so tightly that three axemen were not able to tear them away from me.

“Chop me first, “they cried. “Take our life but leave our trees alone.” I was moved by their affection but had no means to express my feelings. I could only shed a few of my leaves on them to show my gratitude.Suddenly, hundreds of people from the town, old and young, rushed towards me and other trees. Each one hugged one of us. The government’s axemen were unable to touch any tree. They beat and arrested several men and women.
 It terrified me. At least seven people hugged my trunk to save me from the axes. I shed hundreds of my leaves on them.The government heard the instance of public protest. The government officials rushed to the spot. They stood under me when the people begged for mercy on trees. The government ordered that this town would never be called upon to provide timber to his men nor would any cutting be permitted here.

Today even after two centuries, the greenery of this town is intact. If the people of the town were not there the tree would die from those greedy people. 

3 comments:

  1. Very niceπŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ‘πŸ‘

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you get the pic of the children swinging on the banyan tree? Is it yours?
    Can I use it for a book?
    malvikamehra@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete