Wednesday 27 January 2016

The Lone Wolf

        I used to hunt alongside my pack, though a small pack, we walked with pride. Our species was considered rare and endangered by the humans, yet we are hunted every day for our hide, bones and teeth. We did our best to survive through those tough times despite the endangering factors that existed. Finding food got harder by the day, at this rate there won’t be sufficient food for winter.
       There were five of us; Moon Moon, Arya, Theon, myself, Rob and our Alpha, Chuck. We were the last of our kind. We were the last pack of gray wolves on planet Earth. The rest of our Species had been annihilated by the cruel beings on the top of the food chain, Humans. They invaded our home with huge metal creatures which felled rows of trees at once and grinded barks to pulp in their maws of steel. Their great flames consumed most of our forests in a blazing inferno. When faced with one of our kind, Humans shoot us down with their vile guns, and then they would proceed to defile us by ripping our skin off our flesh.
      “Moon Moon stay atop the hill and keep watch for prey and humans, Arya and Theon head towards North and see if you can find any prey, meanwhile I and Rob will stay and watch over this food source” said our alpha, Chuck in a loud, authoritative voice. “Got it” Arya and Theon said in unison with utmost loyalty and ran off towards the Northern plains.
Hours later, Arya returned with no sign of Theon.  Arya runs back panting and says “ Theon…Theon.. Is… is.. no more, he fought a bear to save me from it, he fought valiantly”. “ If the north is overrun with bears it looks like we’ll have to head south”, said Chuck. Moon Moon rushes down to notice Theon missing. He looks around and asks, “Theon still out hunting?” The rest of the group looks down with remorse. I step forward and tell him, “ Moon Moon, Theon is dead. He died fighting a bear to save Arya”. Moon Moon looks up to the skies with a tear running down the side of his face and howls with grief for Theon, who has been like a brother to him his whole life. Suddenly, the sound of a gunshot burst through the air. Chuck notices the hunter in the distance and turns to Moon Moon “Weren’t you supposed to warn us of danger early?” he asks with contempt in his voice. “Yes, but then I came down the hill” Moon Moon replies with a sheepish grin on his face. “Damn it Moon Moon, you had one job” Chuck replied sharply. The dirt next to my fore leg was sent flying upwards when a bullet hit it, accompanied by the loud crack of a rifle. “Run, to the South” shouts Arya, we then charge towards the Southern forests.
           Upon reaching the forest, Chuck says “We need to find food for winter, guided by Rob’s sharp sense of smell; we shall hunt our next prey”. I followed my nose which had picked up the scent of rabbits. “Over there”, I shouted, pointing toward a bush with my nose. We heard a gunshot and when we looked back Moon Moon was on the ground, bleeding out from his head. “Moon Moon nooooo!!!!!” shouts Arya, as I heard the sound of the hunter preparing his rifle for another shot. Chuck commands us to move forward, “There’s no time, he’s gone, and we can’t save him”. We run away, stumbling through the bramble and through the bushes. A loud bone crunching snap was heard behind, and I turned to take look. Chuck’s leg was caught in a bear trap. He was bleeding and he seemed to be in extreme pain. “go on young ones, young ones such as you must carry on the will of our kind. As wolves we shall adapt to survive. Now go!!” He commands. I stood, reluctant to move. Arya dragged me away from Chuck and forced me to move on, “Yes, we shall obey your command” Arya says and we run away.
Arya and I make our way south to the river and on the way it starts to snow. Arya looks up and says, “Winter is coming, we won’t last very long if we don’t get any food soon”. I say “You do realise that this means that there is no more option for food in the forests or the plains as the rabbits and dears would be hidden away safely. Our only course of action will be to raid the farms for food”. “I do not like the idea of entering human territory, but I guess we must move to our last resort”.
On our way to the farm, we encounter a hunting party. “What luck” said Arya, with an edge of sarcasm in her voice. The hounds start to bark at the bushes we were concealed in. The very next second, a bullet pierces Arya’s skin as she runs off in the other direction to draw their attention. She looks at me and tells me, “Live on”. She howls at the sky and is jumped on by two hounds, which begin devouring her skin.
I move on forward out of the bushes to come face to face with a Double barreled shotgun. I peer into its two barrels, knowing my time has come. I am the last of my kind, the only gray wolf left on this planet about face Oblivion. I suppose this is what they call, ‘survival of the fittest’. The weak really must die for the strong to move on. I looked him in the eye and wondered who had given this man the right to decide the time of my death. To tip the balance of nature and send an entire species to extinction. I can say for sure, Ifs things keep going the way they are, Humans would soon slay every beast and soon they themselves would die out. These men do not believe in conserving anything. They go by the belief of having everything serve its purpose and then be lost in time for eternity.
The man in front of me stood his ground he looked at me with anger. I do not know why but this man hated me, I did nothing to him, he did not know mw but he hated me. He then pulled the trigger, I heard the loud report of the rifle, then I felt nothing beyond that, I looked up, and instead of the hunting party, I saw my pack. Moon Moon, Chuck, Arya and Theon stood before me, “Finally you have joined us”, Chuck said peacefully.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment