Sunday 1 November 2015

THE WORLD'S WORST

 Grey skies, dried barren land and sheer water paucity is the world I dwell in, today. I do not know my age- I definitely have more pressing concerns. But I do remember the times when I was a happy little child watching the birds soar with their wings upward into the bluest skies. The sun used to gleam bright orange, but now, it is merely a twinkle of light. I commemorate those days like it was yesterday;
me laying down on the soft green grass, engrossed in the white clouds as they flew above me, contrasting with the light blue skies making my heart swell with ecstasy.
          Back to the present. A lady nearby is holding her dying baby. Why is it dying? You might ask. Well, if the world has no water, beauty, serenity, food or even enough living beings, which human would survive? I believe I am in my last days, myself. Only yesterday, I coughed up blood. Or was it yesterday? I am so wrapped up in dying that I do not even keep count of the days. Is it 2576 or 2579?
           For the past few days or years, depending on the time you are keeping, I have not been able to breathe in clean air. All I ever breathe in is the grey smoke creeping up my nostrils sending into fits of hacking coughs leaving me breathless.
             When I was younger, I remember inhaling the fresh summer breeze as it enveloped my beautiful self and sent me into euphoria. Those were the exultant days.
              I observe a very old red billed queala perched outside on the only surviving tree on earth. I have not seen a red billed queala in ages. I heard that it used to be one of the most abundant species of birds on earth. However, I think I am right to believe that this was the sole surviving red billed queala on earth and that I am privileged to witness its survival just a few days before my own call from heaven.

         Just once I wish to see the beautiful sunrise and the contrasting violet and crimson skies sending me to a world of bliss. Just once I would like to see the blue skies laughing down at me. Just once I would like to take a whiff of the scentful air making me close my eyes and yearn for more. Just once I would like to see the world I called home. The world I called my sanctuary. The world I absolutely adored with all my heart. But alas the world is not a wish granting factory. Alas everything we desire with all our heart is merely a wish. But I hope someday, something marvellous will happen. Something which makes my heart beat again with joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment